Background

PHRASAL VERB

PHRASAL VERB  Hi guys ! In this article, we are going to discuss about phrasal verb. Well, actually it took some times to tackle phrasal verbs. As an English learner, phrasal verb is one of the most difficult units. To tell you the truth, I often think that phrasal verb is unbearable, but still it’s an essential part in learning English. Now let’s check out what the definition of phrasal verb is. There are many definitions for it, but some grammarians say that: a phrasal verb is a verb that is combined with a preposition (e.g. in, on, with) or an adverbial particle (e.g. up, out, off). The preposition or adverbial particle extends the meaning of the verb to create a new meaning. For example if you look at something, your eyes are focused on it, but if you look after something or someone, you take care of them. Take a look at some examples below: • I’m looking for my glasses. I’ve been looking for them all day. • Can you look after my cat while I’m away? I’ll pay you for looking after him. • I take after my cousin. Everybody says I take after her. • I’ve really fallen for this guy. Have you ever fallen for anyone? • Did you come across any photos of the family when your were clearing out the attic? Now, take a look at the sentences below and find out the correct answer for each one. A. My son’s going to one of the best schools in the area. I’m so pleased he …………….. 1. Took over 2. Burned out 3. Got in 4. Ran out B. Having children has really ………….. my life. 1. Taken over 2. Run out of 3. Got in 4. Burned out C. He’s really working hard for his exams. After they’re over, he’ll ………….. 1. Burn out 2. Take over 3. Get in 4. Slow down D. He trained so hard for the marathon that he …………. before the race. 1. Burned out 2. Took over 3. Ran out E. Don’t eat your sweets so quickly – you’ll ……………….. before the film starts. 1. Run out 2. Slow down 3. Take over 4. Burn


references : www.englishpage.com

Categories: Share

Leave a Reply